Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA Infringement Handling

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 19:37:18 -0400

--On Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:30 PM +0000 Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU> wrote:

We are considering revising our DMCA infringement handling procedures, especially with regard to repeat infringers.

I wonder what everybody else is doing with these issues?

We match up the complaint with our IP>Etnernet assignment and network traffic logs.  I forward the complaint to the
student and disable their ethernet card
registration.  They are required to pay $50 and give an assurance that the infringing file(s) and filesharing software
have been removed.  I then re-enable
their ethernet card registration for access to our network.

Repeat infringers get the same procedure except that they also are referred to the VP for Student Services for some
sort of an appointment.  I do not know
what happens in that appointment.

Would you share with me, so I could tabulate it and present the options others use to our administration:

1) What is your charge or penalty for first and repeat infringement?

None - we do not charge

2) When do disciplinary staff intervene?  first time or repeats?

Student meets with Dean for each and every offence

3) How long do you deny network access?

We capture MAC address when complaint comes in (automated process) - they get access back after they pass online quiz
and authenticate

4) If a student has multiple devices, do you deny access to all devices or just the one implicated in the complaint?

Capture is done by MAC address - device responsible for infringement is taken off the network

5) Who was involved in the approval process for your procedures?

Security office and OGC

6) How much pushback to you get from users who receive infringement notices?

None

7) Do you have an appeals process that has ever given an infringing user any relief?

Since we do 100% verification of complaint, we get very few, if any, complaints or appeals

8) May I use your institution name along with your other responses in my report to the administration?

Yes

Finally, a slightly separate question:
9) Do you ever get complaints forwarded from an agent of the pornography industry?  (we have seen a few recently)

Yes

Thanks for any info you are willing to share.

If your interested in our process, please see

<http://www.educause.edu/Resources/FullyAutomatedDMCAProcessing/170286>

I can provide a build your own kit, send me an email with DMCA in the subject line

Thanks,
Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel
Public PGP key
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x90BD740BCC7326C3

Bob Bayn          (435)797-2396            IT Security Team
We will never send you email asking for your password
(never, never, never with this one exception: NEVER!)
Office of Information Technology, Utah State University
       http://tinyurl.com/bicyclists-share-kidneys-v2-0
        USU employees - join the Phirst Phish Contest
     http://it.usu.edu/security/htm/phirst-phish-contest