Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HEOA Question

From: Dexter Caldwell <Dexter.Caldwell () FURMAN EDU>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:39:41 -0500

This is a very difficult problem for a few reasons:

The DMCA notices themselves include only source host on your network, time
stamp and sometimes a protocol and filename.  I don't think I ever see the
destination, and certainly not the port or session number you'd need to
decipher the NAT logs.  If you have a large number of users behind the NAT
address, many of them could and would be accessing the net on the same ip
simultaneously and unless you knew the destination that was the culprit as
well as the session to look for, you're essentially limited to looking at
those hosts that transmitted during the time frame noted that were doing
BitTorrent or whatever protocol they listed.

Even if you have all of that information, the problem you then still have
is that the time stamp they list in the email is not necessarily
synchronized to your systems' time clocks so even if you take the session
in your logs that is closest to the instant listed in the timestamp, how
can you know that your systems aren't 3 seconds off whatever they sync to,
since they do not provide the time source to which the notices correlate?.

It would takes an awful lot of logging in even a relatively small
environment to save the NAT data, but even when you do, you practically
need to save packet payload data to find out who transmitted the file name
specified in the notice.  I suppose you could focus on only p2p traffic of
certain types to narrow it down, but  I don't know of anyone that claims
to be able to do this in a many to one NAT environment with reasonably
scalable efficiency and accuracy with the information provided in the
notices and a resonable (per the organization) level of resources to do it
with.

Dexter

The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU> writes:
I need some input.

Here at USM the students are segregated to a wireless network that is now
behind a single address(NAT). This has caused a problem with responding
to RIAA notices as we cannot tie the notice to a specific user on the
network which in turn affect the compliance to the “Higher Education
Opportunity Act” (HEOA).

I am going to assume that there are other universities that use the NAT
process to control traffic on their perimeter and use non-routable
addresses on the internal network. Is there any tool or application I can
use that will help to tie the notices back to the person without having
to go back to public addressing?

William (Bill) Derwostyp,

CISSP, G7799, GCIH, GSNA, GSLC, GSPA, GSEC, CCNA, CCSE

Technology Security Officer University of Southern Mississippi

[ mailto:william.derwostyp () usm edu ]william.derwostyp () usm edu

Office: 601-266-5416

[Image][Image]

Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this e-mail and/or
document(s) attached is for the exclusive use of the individual named
above and may contain confidential, privileged, and non- disclosable
information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that you are strictly prohibited from reading, photocopying,
distributing or otherwise using this e-mail or contents in any way. If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify me
immediately.