Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HEOA Question

From: "Gioia, Matthew P." <MGioia () STLCC EDU>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:13:33 -0600

This is similar to what we do as well - things get dicey and when the
complaint doesn't include the source port though - usually you can pin
it down throwing in netflow and/or application layer data as well
though. So you'll be going through logs or reports from the firewall +
dhcp server (which you could also throw at syslog) + netflow + whatever
traffic shaping device in the roughest circumstances. Having some
application or scripts to search through the logs will really speed up
the process.

Matthew Gioia, CISSP

Network Security Analyst

St. Louis Community College