Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HEOA Question

From: "William C. Moore" <wcmoore () VALDOSTA EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 19:32:32 +0000

Bill,

If your network is like our network once was I never found a viable solution beyond netflows.  The main hurdle for me
was the single NAT'ed address and a few hundred users authenticated and active (using the same single IP) at the time
the RIAA noted the alleged infringement (from that single IP).  We moved away from that architecture which allowed our
guys to pinpoint users reported by the RIAA/MPAA but more importantly to track reports from REN-ISAC.  The issue we had
with netflows was the volume of log data  over periods of time and at the time RIAA notices were not as quick.

We did not choose this option but one that I think is possible is to set aside a range of addresses and do a one-to-one
translation.  This will most likely require you to determine what your highest number of "online" users are at peak
times and set your range a little beyond that.  Of course you will also need to determine your address lease times and
negotiate what is acceptable.  The trick here though is to log the authentication / address / (I also suggest MAC
addresses) date / time stamps so when you receive an abuse report you can tell which private IP was associated to the
public IP at a given time and then which user was authenticated and provided the associated public/private IP pair (MAC
to determine if it was the user's desktop or laptop).

Best of luck.

Bill

William C. Moore II, CISSP, MEd, MLIS
Chief Information Security Officer
Division of Information Technology
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698
Phone:(229)333-5974
Fax:  (229)245-4349

The information transmitted is intended only for the person addressed.
Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or the taking of
any action in reliance upon this information is prohibited. If you
received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete or
destroy this message and any copies.