Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Current Best Practice regarding Password Change policy

From: "Doty, Timothy T." <tdoty () MST EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 15:16:05 -0500

First, I want to emphasize that I agree with a lot of what you say, but there are two points I would like to respond in
counter to.

You start with “I want a balanced security policy that protects my organization and does not itself become the greater
threat” (well put). Interestingly, a charge levied by critics of periodic password changes is that it *does* weaken
overall security. Your discussion never mentions this possibility as being evaluated, but instead appears to use the
argument that “while it does not address a particular security concern, but it does address another.”

That is well and good (and I think it is important to not get stuck on requiring complete solutions or endlessly
debating the incremental gain/loss of particular methods), but the argument-by-analogy doesn’t work when the things
being discussed are not analogous. You compare a password to a physical key used to access a house with live in guests.
There are two critical differences: 1) the key is physical, passwords are not and 2) the key (encoding) is shared,
(most) passwords are not/should not be.

Physical: a key is a token. A user doesn’t care about the encoding it represents, they present the token and are
granted access. One way to improve the security of a lock is to increase the number of “bits” used to open it. It makes
the key a little longer, but it is still just a key. A user *does* care about a password – they have to remember it.
The “encoding” becomes very significant and if you increase the security by extending the number of characters it
(generically) becomes harder to remember. Another difference is that a key, being physical, becomes clear at some point
that it is lost. A password is “lost” when the user forgets it, but it can be exposed/compromised/what have you without
any clear way to tell that someone else has knowledge of it and can use it to gain unauthorized access.

Shared: I’m not aware of people with shared living arrangements* who preventively have their lock re-keyed every month,
six months, year or in fact on any periodic basis. Locks are typically changed when a person leaves or a key is lost
(if then)**. Shared passwords are generally not a good idea, but they happen for a variety of reasons. When a person
with knowledge of the shared password leaves the shared password should be changed. But in the typical case where the
password is not shared the use-case of change-with-personnel is not relevant.

I’m not meaning to argue for or against periodic password changes. For many institutions they are a fact due to
external requirements so the question is moot for them anyway. But I think it is very risky to use an analogy, for
illustration or argument, when the points of comparison are so dissimilar as physical objects and matters of knowledge
are.

* a security facility might very well have such a requirement, for example, to cover the case of a key being copied,
but that does not follow the “live in guest” analogy presented, nor does it follow the typical case where passwords are
not supposed to be shared.

** and if there were frequent thefts my experience is that instead of mandating periodic lock changes
additional/different measures would be put in place, such as evicting guests/firing employees, installing cameras or
silent, monitored alarms (particularly after losses with no break in).

Tim Doty