Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Current Best Practice regarding Password Change policy

From: "Koski, David" <dkoski () UMICH EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:24:46 -0400

Agreed.  This all goes back to the basics of understanding you're users, access controls, and proper data
classification.  You can definitely make one size fit all with a lot of screaming and heartache, but if you properly
understand your users, access levels and data, then you should properly quantify the risk involved.

In my opinion, security should be tailored to have the least impact on the user but properly fits the risk.  In most
cases, this isn't a one size fits all particularly in large organizations with many roles.  Sure, there should be a
minimum standard to keep users from choosing horrible horrible passwords (We all know they do anyways), but a student
doesn't necessarily need to have the same password change requirements as someone working with financial information.
Otherwise you tend to cost the organization more money in the end than the risk your were trying to mitigate to begin
with.

        David