Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Current Best Practice regarding Password Change policy

From: John Ladwig <John.Ladwig () CSU MNSCU EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 15:49:09 -0500

Not to gainsay, but thinking longer-term and wider, man-in-the-browser is widely reported to have obsoleted several
flavors of 2-factor AuthN (through form-appending, response-editing, amongst other tricks), though admittedly for
high-value targets, which our systems probably don't qualify as.  At least yet.

But the malware construction toolkits are pretty impressive, so the friction involved in adding a new site is getting
lower and lower every day.

I think you allude to one of the more  promising controls; account activity monitoring.  I'm just not sure how
cost-effective that is to develop on an institution-by-institution (or, worse, system-by-system) basis.  The card
system has a *very* effective implementation, but not (yet) do we see a very effective one in retail banking.  And
those sectors are, far more than we, very nearly *made* of money.

Finding the drones rented out to a spambot-herder is a lot easier than finding the Zeus-like drones you have looking
for financial-accounts or other high-value information resources.  Those are gonna be *way* stealthy, on average, to be
effective.  And they're almost certainly not going to be the same drones with both sets of payloads, except by
accident.  Or maybe the drones that have paid off in mid- to high-value operational modes get resold to the spam guys.
That's a scary thought.

   -jml

Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU> 2010-09-24 15:22 >>>
I have to say that your argument falls apart if you start looking at the mechanisms that the passwords are being
compromised by:

1) keyloggers
2) phishing

Neither of these are really mitigated by changing the password every 90 days, or for that matter, changing it at all.

Password changing is on a check list that the auditors have .. and that's why your changing it - if you can convince
them that it doesn't really help, they you
don't have to change it unless it gets compromised.

We monitor all authenticated logins on all servers and look for compromised accounts - they come from phishing or from
logging in from a questionable system.
Most compromised accounts are used to send spam or to steal library resources - both are detected by automated
processes we have in place. We have seen that
stolen accounts are typically used within hours or even minutes of the compromise.

For my money, I believe that the only way to semi-solve this problem is to implement a two factor authentication system
- which we have done for most central
system administrators. I would like to do this for everyone - it's only a simple matter of money.

My 2 cents

Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel