Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Current Best Practice regarding Password Change policy

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:20:25 -0400

Hi Barb,

Here are a few articles on the subject .. you may discover that I'm on the other side of this argument :-)

Please note that I didn't write any of these :-)

<http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=7510>

<http://blogs.sepago.de/helge/2009/06/22/how-forcing-password-changes-actually-weakens-security/>

<http://ha.ckers.org/blog/20060605/security-policies-weakens-passwords/>

Not exactly on topic, but interesting
<http://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/2008/09/password-reset.html>

Interesting discussion on the topic
<http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/85d4c/ask_proggit_does_enforcing_a_password_change/>

Nice article on why lockout is a bad idea
<http://shermansolutionsllc.com/secmusings/topics/unconventional-wisdom>

<http://essays.hexapodia.net/security/passwords.html>

<http://all.net/journal/netsec/1997-09.html>

<http://blogs.sepago.de/helge/2009/06/22/how-forcing-password-changes-actually-weakens-security/>

Enjoy!

Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel