Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Current Best Practice regarding Password Change policy

From: Jason Testart <jatestart () UWATERLOO CA>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:33:07 -0400

  On 9/24/2010 8:52 AM, Valdis Kletnieks wrote:
(Anybody want to publicly admit they were able to sell the auditors
on what Spaf said, and managed to eliminate mandatory changes?)

We are about to introduce mandatory password changes here, after a recent audit. The Spaf arguments didn't fly with our auditors, so the best I could do is set a standard of a year by default, and 126 or so days (one academic term) for more sensitive areas. That's what we're going to do.

The way I see it:

   Compliance 1, Security 0