Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Current Best Practice regarding Password Change policy

From: James Farr '05 <jfarr () UTICA EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:13:58 -0400

We have also recently instituted a password change policy.  Our policy is
you must change your password every 120 days.  You cannot reuse an old
password, you must include special characters.  We got a moderate amount of
pushback, but it is getting better.

There are merits to each of the points both for and against password change
timelines. If we abandon password changes or make the time between changes
too long are we putting out the wrong message? How important can passwords
be if they never change?  Unfortunately we know users share passwords with
fellow employees (full time, part time, student help). If passwords never
changes there may be a number of people who know that password. Finding a
middle ground that works for the users and still increases security is the
best we can hope for.

James Farr
Information Security Officer
Instructional Technologist