Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Expatriation notification

From: James <security () CYCLOHEXANE NET>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:22:40 +0100

We also send our users messages like this. However I'm concerned that it
would take very little effort to copy the content, spoof the from address
and href the links so they look genuine but take them to a random web server
which is setup with a copy of our real password management system.

For this reason I think we shouldn't provide links in emails that ask a user
to login to anything, but should advise they visit our main web page (i.e.
type it in themselves) and we give them a link off that. We can then also
tag on to "we never ask for your password" that "we never link to pages that
ask for your password".

Has anyone else tackled this particularly?

Cheers
James