Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Expatriation notification

From: "Kieper, David" <kieperd () UWGB EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:51:32 +0000

We email persons daily starting 14 days before their password expires, until they change their password, or it expires.

Mail is sent from the campus helpdesk email account.  Email is pretty brief and contents are pasted below.

Regards,

David Kieper
Manager, Network and Infrastructure Services
Information Technology Security Officer
Information Services Division
University of Wisconsin - Green Bay             office: (920) 465-2238
2420 Nicolet Drive                                      fax:    (920) 465-2864
Green Bay, WI  54311-7001   USA                 email:  kieperd () uwgb edu

Dear Last Name, First Name

In the interest of improving the security of our campus network and data, we have implemented more stringent password
policies for network accounts. Campus network passwords are now set to expire after six months.

Your password will expire in 10 days on 8/4/2010.

Please visit (campus web link) for more information on how to change your password.

Please note that all new passwords must conform to the following minimum standards.
1.      be a minimum of eight (8) characters in length.
2.      be memorized; if a password is written down it must be stored securely.
3.      contain at least one (1) character from three (3) of the following categories:
        i.      Uppercase letter (A-Z)
        ii.     Lowercase letter (a-z)
        iii.    Digit (0-9)
        iv.     Printable special characters (~`!@#$%^&*()+=_-{}[]\|:;"'/?<>,.(space))

                (Do not use a space as the last character of a password or you will be unable to log into D2L or RMS)

4.      be private and not shared with anyone.
5.      not contain your proper name or username.
6.      be expired every six months.
7.      be tracked so that the last ten passwords are retained and cannot be reused.

In addition, we'd like to encourage use of pass phrases, which make it easier to remember longer passwords. Please
visit http://www.uwgb.edu/compserv/policies/password_info.htm for more information on using pass phrases.

Failure to change your password before 8/4/2010 will result in an inability to log into campus resources, including
email, the Student Information System, D2L, and other systems. Please feel free to contact the Help Desk,
Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm, at (920) 465-2309 for assistance.