Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: University credentials used by third parties

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:19:22 -0600

No support from this quarter either.  But it does look like Ultrinsic.com does need to make arrangements for each
individual school to automate the process of using the student-provided credentials to get to the schedules and grades.
 Now, I wonder if those individual arrangements include individual approval from each school.  The list of schools is
currently:

American University (undergraduate)
Boston College (undergraduate)
Boston University (undergraduate)
Brigham Young University (undergraduate)
Columbia University (undergraduate)
CUNY Queens College (undergraduate)
Duke University (undergraduate)

George Washington University (undergraduate
Georgetown University (undergraduate)
Harvard University (undergraduate)
Howard University (undergraduate)
Indiana University-Bloomington (undergraduate)
Massachussets Institute of Technology (undergraduate)
Michigan State University (undergraduate)
North Carolina State University (undergraduate)
NYU (undergraduate)

Pennsylvania State University (undergraduate)
Princeton University (undergraduate)
Rutgers University (undergraduate)
St. Johns University (undergraduate)
Stanford University (undergraduate)
SUNY Binghamton (undergraduate)
Syracuse University (undergraduate)
Texas A&M University (undergraduate)

Texas Tech University (undergraduate)
University of California-Berkeley (undergraduate)
University of California-Los Angeles (undergraduate)
University of Conneticut (undergraduate)
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (undergraduate)
University of North Carolina (undergraduate)
University of Pennsylvania (undergraduate)
University of Pittsburgh (undergraduate)
University of Southern California (undergraduate)

University of Texas-Austin (undergraduate)
University of Wisconsin-Madison (undergraduate)
Wake Forest University (undergraduate)

Nope, I doubt those are all the results of explicit collaborations with each school's administration.  So, you may have
to block Ultrinsic if they can get any of your student credentials and snoop around to figure out how to extract the
data they need.

Bob Bayn        (435)797-2396      Security Team coordinator
             http://tinyurl.com/I-Need-a-Kidney
Office of Information Technology   at  Utah State University