Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server naming conventions

From: "McCrary, Barbara" <bmccrary () OGSLP ORG>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:10:21 -0600

We only use the names of classical composers at one site and I'm always
hoping that more are named after girl composers.  Still we only have two
girls.  Other sites, greek gods, greek alphabet, guns, explorers, movie
monsters and in one rare case, after a cherished leader at his
retirement.  Often, the names and the groups do help determine the age,
location, purpose and even OS of the server. We want the name to meet
our stability and production expectations, so no weeds, wacko or trouble
allowed.  This has been fun:)

I think the nuts scheme was my favorite so far!

Barbara McCrary
Chief Information Security Officer
MCSE, MCSE:Security, +Messaging, CompTia:Security+

bmccrary () ogslp org <mailto:bmccrary () ogslp org>

421 NW 13th, Ste 250
Oklahoma City, OK  73103
405 234.4316 office
405 234.4321 cell
405 234.4588 fax

Note:  This communication and attachments, if any, are intended solely
for the use of the addressee hereof.  In addition, this information and
attachments, if any, may contain information that is confidential,
privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law, including,
but not limited to, the Privacy Act of 1974.  If you are not the
intended recipient of this information, you are prohibited from reading,
disclosing, reproducing, distributing, disseminating, or otherwise using
this information.  If you have received this message in error, please
promptly notify the sender and immediately, delete this communication
from your system.