Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server naming conventions

From: Timothy Fairlie <fairlie () RIDER EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:37:54 -0500

We used up all the Greek/Roman/Norse mythology names years ago... Only
Apollo and Poseidon still remain in production.

Lately the server guys have been using planets from the Star Wars
universe ( Tatooine, Dagobah, Hoth. etc). Superstition has prevented
them from deploying a production server named after the ill-fated
Alderaan though :-)

We use more explanatory CNAME's for the servers, so users never really
see the "real" server names