Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server naming conventions

From: Greg Schaffer <schaffer () MTSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:43:02 -0600

I have to chime in on this thread although I've resisted doing so until now.
During the 90's I worked at a hospital.  The network had three core routers
named Larry, Curly, and Moe.  One of my coworkers (no it was not me) was
tasked with creating a new subnet on an interface.  Shortly after he saved
the configuration our network management station began screaming because the
entire surgical subnet was down.  What he had done was create the new subnet
on a different router on the interface designated for surgery.  Fortunately
in 1997 the network didn't have much telemedicine apps so it was more of an
inconvenience than anything.  The engineer was confused about the router he
was on because of the name, apparently, and suggested a clearer naming
convention was in order.  Yes, I know that there were other things he should
have checked and change management processes were inadequate, and I am not
making excuses for him. Still, today core routers/L3 switches in our network
are named based on location per my directive, remembering that one incident.

Greg