Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server naming conventions

From: Barbara Ann Torney <bt42 () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:02:47 -0500

OK, I've gotta jump in with a couple of short items.  One is that when you
have waves of different naming schemes that wash over your campus, you can
pretty much tell the age of a server from its name: "Ah, that was from the
artist era!"

Two interesting phases we went through: 1. We named VM host servers after
gardens, and the guest servers on them were named for flowers or plants
that would be found in a garden.  2. We had a Windows sysadmin with
theatre connections, and he started naming servers after characters in
"Waiting for Godot": Gogo, Didi, Lucky, Pozzo.  The problem was when he
needed one more, and he named it, of course, Godot.  I warned him not to
name a domain controller godot, and sure enough, that server was a
disaster!

One last comment I have to make regarding an earlier post: how can you run
out of insects?

This has been fun.  /bat