Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server naming conventions

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:53:28 -0500

On 2/11/2010 4:43 PM, Greg Schaffer wrote:

I have to chime in on this thread although I've resisted doing so
until now.  During the 90's I worked at a hospital.  The network had
three core routers named Larry, Curly, and Moe. [...] Still, today
core routers/L3 switches in our network are named based on location
per my directive, remembering that one incident.

I have to agree.  We have had our share of cute names (snakes, raptors,
etc), but had a number of core server names from Greek mythology.  They
were no doubt meaningful to the administrator, but they were terribly
confusing to the rest of us trying to follow the data flow diagrams, and
getting text alerts about them from our service monitors, trying to
remember who does what...

Jeff