Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server naming conventions

From: Dan Oachs <doachs () GAC EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:14:53 -0600

The most fun and unique names we have used recently were animal sounds. It was really odd to over hear our conversations about having issues with meow, woof being down, time to upgrade quack, etc. We also had a windows server named crash, which was unusually stable.

--Dan Oachs

Woodruff, Daniel wrote:

What kinds of naming conventions do everyone follow when building new servers?

Currently, our Windows hosts are named following the pattern ‘its-w2ks#’ or similar, where the # is the next in the sequence, and the names are published in DNS. What are the potential drawbacks or using a scheme like this? Do you think it is any better or worse from a security perspective than using something like ‘its-oracle-1’ which has the service right in the name? We’re concerned about disclosing the purpose of the machine via its name, and are trying to get an idea of what other schools do for their machines. Thanks in advance.

Dan Woodruff

University IT Security and Policy

University of Rochester