Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server naming conventions

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:15:10 -0500

Laurie Zirkle wrote:
I know laptops aren't servers, but we had great fun when we got our
first laptops.  They were for checkout purposes, so the very first two
were tramp and floosy.  Then came bimbo, harlot, you get the drift.  Our
HR department was *not* amused.  We had to change them all.

Now that's a good one!

Years ago, in a different job, I annoyed my library director by naming
all the systems after presidents. Windows machines were Republicans,
Macs were Democrats (the reverse of her biases). The Netware server was
Washington, a Whig, of course. It did take several weeks for anyone to
notice the "hidden message."

Printers were named for children's book illustrators, Suess, Rackham,
etc. The dot-matrix ones were Impressionists, of course.

--
Best regards
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.oberlin.edu/cit/

"Teachers open the door, but you enter by yourself." -- Chinese proverb.