Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Experience outsourcing student email to Live@edu

From: "Harry E Flowers (flowers)" <flowers () MEMPHIS EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:04:58 -0600

If you're currently using Exchange for student e-mail, there are some new features in Live@Edu R4 for setting up a
federated environment that might be attractive.  It's probably too new to get feedback from anyone but a beta tester of
release 4 at this point.

We're in the "early evaluation stage" ourselves; we currently run everything in-house on Exchange, but are evaluating
Live@Edu and Google options for the future, whether just students or possibly including faculty and staff.  Judging
from what I've heard from Microsoft, I think the "not there yet" applies to moving faculty and staff because of the
"one size fits all" setup.  That, too, could be changing in another year, though the MS folks are careful not to commit
to anything yet.

We don't use Exchange edge servers, though, we have our own SMTP and mail routing servers in front of them, and whether
we can move those to the cloud is another part of the puzzle (right now, the answer looks to be "no" if we want control
over blacklist/whitelist/greylist and anti-phishing/spam functionality).
--
Harry Flowers
Manager, Systems Software