Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Discontinuing student email service

From: "Hall, Rand" <rand () MERRIMACK EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:51:37 -0500

On the heels of another student email outsourcing question...it has occurred to me that some of us may want to step
back and reflect on the following question:

Why do we still provide student email accounts?

We once provided labs full of typewriters and then computers. We used to provide our own dialup service. Once these
things were commoditized we were able to largely eliminate them. Do student email accounts fall into the same lifecycle
pattern?

Cheers,
Rand

--
Rand P. Hall * Director, Network Services
Merrimack College * SunGard Higher Education

CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error,