Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Notices

From: "James R. Pardonek" <pardonjr () CALUMET PURDUE EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:33:28 -0600

We use Enterasys' NAC Management to identify users on our wired network.  If the user is on wireless, we use AirWave.
What is good about both systems, is that we get userid, mac address, port information as well as date and time
stamping.  Once we get this information, we 1)immediately disable the student's network access. 2) create a police
report with the campus police. 3)notify the Dean of Students.  The Dean works from the police report.

We currently have under review, a policy that will prohibit P2P software on our network.

James R. Pardonek, CISSP
Senior Network Administrator
Network Infrastructure Management and Maintenance
Computing Technology and Information Systems
Purdue University Calumet
Hammond, Indiana