Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Notices

From: "Sweeny, Jonny" <jsweeny () IU EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:56:23 -0500

As many folks do, we use logs to identify the user/machine responsible.  More details are outlined (including
escalating procedures for repeat offenders) here: http://filesharing.iu.edu/procedure.php.

Over the last 18 months I've automated the heck out of it so we're able to more-easily handle the 60-70 notices-per day
that we sometimes get.  Because of academic freedom, legitimate uses, and our fat pipes, we do not block p2p.

In fact I'll be presenting on automation and Incident Response tools at the Educause Security Professionals Conference
this April in Atlanta.

Do your students all have routable IPs?

-yes

--
~Jonny Sweeny, GSEC, GCWN, GCIH, GWAS, SSP-CNSA
Incident Response Manager, Lead Security Analyst