Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Notices

From: David Boyer <David () BVU EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:07:22 -0600

We use DHCP logs to identify the offender and forward the notice to them. We don't block P2P traffic, we just deter the
use of it through traffic shaping and by informing our users of legitimate options for acquiring copyrighted materials.

Anand S Malwade <Anand.Malwade () SHU EDU> 01/26/09 9:02 AM >>>
All,

I was wondering how other Universities deal with RIAA notices ? Do you really invest the time and effort to track down
? what methodology and tools do you use for investigation ? Do you block all peer-peer traffic ?

Thanks,
Anand

Anand Malwade
Information Security Officer,