Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Pervasive Campus Wireless

From: Josh Richard <jrichar4 () D UMN EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:26:44 -0600

Hello,

1. Yes

2. No layer 2 encryption policies.  Outbound HTTP/HTTPS/DNS only.
Entire guest wireless deployment is behind a NAT box and disjoint from
general wireless.  Rate limits applied at NAT filter (10M aggregate SFQ)
[1].  AUP page through Cisco WiSM, everything else done (DHCP, dot1q
etc) using GNU/Linux [2].  Finally, we implemented scavenger QOS on the
traffic to give it less than best effort priority on the LAN.

3. No.

4. Risk has been accepted.  A design constraint was imposed which
required us to be able to discern a MAC address inside the NAT for a
given timestamp and URL/dst host.  The requirement was satisfied using
softflowd [3] to determine the IP of the inside host, and MAC filtering
on the WiSMs.  So far, we had had no need to use the flow data.

Cheers,

Josh

[1] http://www.opalsoft.net/qos/DS-25.htm
[2] http://www.gnu.org , http://www.debian.org