Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outbound SMTP

From: "Scholz, Greg" <gscholz () KEENE EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:14:13 -0400

Any notion that a person needing access should just have it violates the
idea that if they know they need it they must have at least a basic
knowledge of what "it" is.

I don't think I want a researcher (or whomever) that doesn't understand
that they need port 25 open to have the ability to create an accessible
application and run it on our network - sounds like they would need to
do more research first :-)

How to determine if the network user has the competence to have such
power...if they know they have to protect/secure their servers port 25
activity, means they know that port 25 is a risk, means they know that
they need port 25, which means they understand network communication
protocols...so why not just know they have to ask/state "I need port X
open for my research"? (I sure hope our students are being prepared for
the "real world" because believe it or not, most companies have these
types of controls - in my experience)

We have a default deny inbound and misc ports blocked outbound
(including 25). We also have a "firewall rule request form".
We have very little research activities on this campus and work very
closely with departments doing any type of IT
program/research/project/etc.

My .02

Greg