Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outbound SMTP

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:13:45 -0700

Joe,

saying that blocking port 25 is the only sustainable option?

 Security decisions are predicated on the context of the institution.
There are still schools that have a proliferation of MTAs as a regular
matter of course, typically with various and sundry reasons. I don't
know if it is the norm nowadays, but it certainly is a rarity either.

 In any event, as Roger Safian and others have stated in their
a pretty nuanced decision in complex networks. Moreover, just because
maintaining control over outbound e-mail gateways is normal practice for
many institutions, doesn't necessitate an implicit suggestion that
everyone else has to fit into that mold.

Well, just like the Cosby Show, "the miscreants want your users'
systems."

 I think this is a point where reasonable people can disagree.
Information security commonly contains a fair amount of subjectivity and
speculation.

I guess that's where I disagree. I think we *can* achieve pristine (or

virtually pristine) networks.

 I think these disagreements are semantic. Host and perimeter security
have strengths and weaknesses, and of course, host security has had a
mercurial rise over recent years for good reason (partly neglect, partly
mobility, etc).

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College