Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outbound SMTP

From: Mike Porter <mike () UDEL EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:00:15 -0400

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Basgen, Brian wrote:

Joe,

officers. I mean dang it all, we build wonderful networks,
and then we proceed to block the heck out of 'em to the point
where application programmers can hardly use 'em! That just
makes no sense.

Joe, you have a fair point, but you are making it a bit extreme. I
would agree, in some contexts, when it comes to NAC, for example. Yet,
the suggestion that blocking port 25 outbound is problematic for
usability isn't very sustainable.

It is so tempting to say, when confronting any security risk, "block
it."

The role of the ISO is a lot more nuanced than this. This is a good
example of the importance of an ISO in an institution, as opposed to a
network security administrator, for example.

1) Even if you block port 25 traffic, the host is still infested

You are missing the forest for the trees. If you render the intent of
an exploit useless, you've accomplished defense in-depth. We can't

The intend of the exploit is most likely multi-faceted.  It can be
used to send spam.  It can be used to scan machines local to a
subnet.  It can be used to guess passwords.  I'm convinced that
laptops are loaded with wireshark type programs and sniffing for
passwords.  Any time we can get one of these machines to reveal
itself, that's one less machine hiding where I can't easily see what
it's up to.

maintain pristine networks. We *can* reduce risk and have sufficient
depth such that a compromise will be mitigated by various layers.

Alternatively, you can monitor and when trip points are passed, you
can disable the machine and force it to get cleaned.  Blocking ports
is sometimes necessary, but we have not found that to the be the
case with port 25.  Microsoft ports (139 et al), are, however,
blocked.

Mike

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College

-
Mike Porter
PGP Fingerprint: F4 AE E1 9F 67 F7 DA EA  2F D2 37 F3 99 ED D1 C2