Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firefox as default browser in labs

From: Bob Doyle <bobdoyle () KELLOGG NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 14:27:27 -0500

I think Steve's question directly addresses the main difficulty in managing
Firefox in a lab environment: centralized management.

I run computer labs in multiple facilities on 3 campuses.  I include firefox
on my lab image, but do not make it the default browser for a couple
reasons:

1.  More complicated updates
-Lab users do not have admin rights on the system, nor do I want random
people updating software.  If Firefox was available in an MSI based
installer or come as standalone patches that could be run through something
like psexec, I could very easily get critical security updates out.
Otherwise, I have to upgrade locally.  For those deploying firefox, how are
you handling security updates?

2.  Browser configuration through Group Policy in IE
-  Using group policy, I can modify IE browser settings and apply
workarounds for security issues within hours.  I really would like the
ability to more easily lock things down a bit tighter in firefox.  I've seen
cases where firefox can circumvent certain user UI restriction set by group
policy.  Has anyone out there created any GPO's for configuring firefox
security settings?  If not through group policy, then how are you applying
security and other custom settings (default home page, etc.) to your
browsers?

For use on systems with one primary user who can update their own software,
firefox or opera seems like a no-brainer over IE.  I use it almost
exclusively on my laptop and love it.  But on multi-user systems in a
windows managed shop, the choice is not as clear.

If folks out there have tips and tricks they can share to easily manage
Firefox, it would be great to hear about them.

Bob

Bob Doyle
bobdoyle () kellogg northwestern edu
Public Computing Manager