Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firefox as default browser in labs

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:20:44 -0500

At 10:05 AM 5/23/2006, Graham Toal put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
Is this of interest to this thread?

http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2006/04/run-internet-explorer-in-secure
.html

If you're stuck with IE, it may help secure it a little.

Not being able to download and install updates, outweighs
any potential benefit of this option.  So if you're planning
on deploying this in an environment where updates are not
managed, I'd advise against it.

FWIW - I did some pretty extensive testing on this about a year
ago, and other than the update issue it worked fine.  Perhaps
in a lab environment, where users would not be updating the
machine anyway, this might work.  But for general users I
don't think so, and since we're talking about labs here.  ;-)

Just my $0.02.

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.