Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firefox as default browser in labs

From: Vicky Walker <Vwalker () UNT EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 17:20:35 -0500

Thanks, Ken.  I had heard about that option in FireFox but have not used
it yet.  Glad to hear it works for all your needs!

Ken Layng <kml18 () PSU EDU> 5/10/2006 3:08 PM >>>
Firefox has a very nice extension called "IETab", which enables a user
to define certain pages or sites to open via an internal IE engine by
default - VERY nice.  It also has a toggle button which allows the user
to render these either way on the fly.  Moreover, you can create an msi
package with a sub-set of extensions, and deploy those to users and labs
via GPO.  I virtually never open IE anymore - even for MS updates and
sites that require IE.

Howell, Paul wrote: I think the issue is a little worse than just 3rd
party apps.  Most MSproducts use the IE engine to render HTML.  This
being the case, youstill have to apply all IE patches to ensure that the
engine is updateto date for products such as office and outlook.Using
Firefox instead of IE just means that instead of one piece ofsoftware
that you have to maintain, you now have two that must bemaintained.  Is
that really what you wanted to do?< paul  -----Original
Message-----From: Jeff Kell [mailto:jeff-kell () UTC EDU] Sent: Wednesday,
May 10, 2006 3:36 PMTo: SECURITY@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDUSubject: Re: