Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vendor Participation on List and Proper Identification

From: Tom Bossie <tbossie () CITADEL COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 07:53:03 -0500

Let's face it; given the human factor you're always going to have those that
honor the rules and those that take advantage of the situation.

To be honest, this list-serv feels a little invasive in general. To
anomalously listen to the various issues and problems, ignoring our nature
to sell, is a daily temptation. And given the general business environment
these days there is a strong tendency to exploit the available venues in
competing for the available funds!(revenue) Like the song says: sales is a
"sorry substitution for a spiritual life".

I can appreciate the need to have a private (education only) forum, for all
the obvious reasons. It sounds like these forums already exist from a
Educause could publish the contents of the discussion strings sans the
individual identities on a daily basis and allow a separate facility for
response by vendors. Then you could decide to call the vendor directly at
your discretion.

Or create a vendor list-serv where your members could ask questions to the
vendor community when and if they wish, using some sort of common alias to
avoid the marketing backlash. I'm sure there is way to make it work, that's
why we go to school!

Tom Bossie
Citadel Security Software