Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vendor Participation on List and Proper Identification

From: Jason Richardson <A00JER2 () WPO CSO NIU EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:50:46 -0500

As troubling to me were the e-mail AND phone call that I received from
the labor union representing hotel service employees who are striking to
force a new contract with hotels in San Francisco.  Apparently, by
becoming a member of Educause I exposed my contact info to this union
who has been spamming me to boycott the hotels.  I called Educause to
complain and they apologized (as they have to many others who called)
and removed me from their public directory.  I have not had this problem
by becoming a member of other professional orgs.  IMO, Educause needs to
do a better job of protecting its members.

---
Jason Richardson
Manager, IT Security and Client Development
Enterprise Systems Support
Northern Illinois University
Voice: 815-753-1678
Fax: 815-753-2555
jasrich () niu edu

Nunnally () HARDING EDU 7/29/2005 2:45:46 PM >>>
From: Jimmy L. Fikes [mailto:fikesj () WBU EDU]
I cannot image how a vendor hopes to make a sale to those he/she
annoys!

Amen!  If there is a "no unsolicited call" list being generated out
there by
the vendors on the list, please put me on it.

I registered for a conference recently (not Educause) and immediately
the
email, phone, and snail mail spam started coming by the ton.  I even
got a
"thanks for coming by our booth" email today from a vendor I never
talked
to.  I very deliberately threw it all away without a second glance.

John Nunnally
Harding University