Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vendor Participation on List and Proper Identification

From: Sarah Stevens <sarah () STEVENS-TECHNOLOGIES COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:00:47 -0600

Hello,

Cases like this really are disappointing.  As a vendor that frequents
this list, I believe that there is a lot of advantage to the
educational community to have input from technical experts in the
field.  I am an employer in addition to being a "vendor."  One of the
greatest challenges that we encounter is finding individuals that are
recent college graduates and that have the educational background
necessary to begin a career with us even as a Junior Security Expert.
I believe that interfaces between corporations and academia are
crucial to the success of new college graduates after leaving school.
When you ask technical questions and research technical products, you
are bringing this information back to your institution and thus
potentially increasing the exposure of latest technological solutions
to your student body.  Students who wish to broaden their educational
experience as work study or volunteers in the Campus IT Departments
especially benefit from this interaction.  Ultimately, I benefit by
passing this information on to reach new Information Security Students.

I am really sorry to hear that some of my peers in the corporate world
are abusing this privilege that could be very beneficial to both
academia and corporations alike.  However, if some choose to abuse
this privilege, they should not be allowed to participate in this
group.  Those of us that are participating by sharing our expertise in
a professional manner with the academic community still have a lot to
offer.  As I described above, I believe that academia has a lot to
gain from this interaction.

I don't feel that Jamie Stapleton's post was a direct ethical
violation of any vendor/academia interaction.  Mr. Stapleton is a
vendor for a product that he obviously (hopefully) believes in.  He
has chosen to sell this product and thus has researched it greatly and
has explained why he felt that it was a better tool than another
product that was a free solution.  I did not see where Jamie ever even
said that he sold the product.

I have offered advice on different occassions on this forum.  I have
presented free tools and so forth that others can use to help their
institution.  I have also said that I would be willing to help
institutions out however I could.  In my spare time, I have sat on
technical advising boards at several universities without any
compensation other than knowing (hoping) that I was advancing
technology, and encouraging the natural inquisitions that the computer
science industry provokes.

I hope that all vendors and representatives of various corporations
that frequent these lists are not punished for the unfortunate actions
of a few individuals.

Sincerely,

Sarah E Stevens, CISSP, CISM
Stevens Technologies, Inc.

IMO this issue seems to be a little broader that than just a simple
"List-Serve" issue.

Shortly after I responded to an email on this list regarding our
various
problems with Cisco's Acquitition of Perfigo, I have been swamped
with calls
from various vendors. Since I did not post my direct phone number in
my
posting, these calls have all came through our main campus phone
line,
asking for me.  As this is the only forum in which I've mentioned
anything
about this issue, it's pretty clear where these vendors got my
contact
information.

While I agree that vendor input on issues and questions can be very
valuable
here, this list should not be used as a sales / marketing "Hit
List".  Jamie
@ CBSI  did the correct thing, Identified himself as a Vendor,
attempted to
answer our questions.  It seems that there are many other vendors
out there
that are using this list soley as a marketing / sales lead tool.