Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vendor Participation on List and Proper Identification

From: "Jimmy L. Fikes" <fikesj () WBU EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:34:03 -0500

While I am annoyed at every unsolicited sales call (and I do mean
"every"), I am angered by calls when I think they have come from
conversations I've had in some forum. This is nothing more than spam,
and I would buy as much from a vendor who called me from something said
in a forum as I would purchase something from a spammer. I cannot image
how a vendor hopes to make a sale to those he/she annoys! While the
listserv permits vendors to listen in, or even contribute to the
discussion, I do not think that this is an invitation to sales by
stealth. I see no problem with vendors commenting on their products in
the forum, it could enhance some of the threads, but that is where it
should stop.

Jimmy Fikes
Chief Information Officer
Wayland Baptist University