Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IRC, IM Proxy Implementations

From: "H. Morrow Long" <morrow.long () YALE EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 18:04:40 -0400

Note that we believe that we have also recently seen
another expected evolutionary trend in IRC DDoS "bots"
-- not just a use of ports outside the range 6666-7000 --
but the use of encrypted IRC traffic, possibly IRC over SSL
(which was going to TCP port 7000 in these cases btw),
so as to escape detection by IDSes and human analysis.

- H. Morrow Long, CISSP, CISM
  University Information Security Officer
  Director -- Information Security Office
  Yale University, ITS

On Sep 2, 2004, at 5:28 PM, Dave Monnier, IT Security Office, Indiana