Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IRC, IM Proxy Implementations

From: Justin Azoff <JAzoff () UAMAIL ALBANY EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 16:02:25 +0000

John Kristoff wrote:
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 15:31:36 +0000
Justin Azoff <JAzoff () UAMAIL ALBANY EDU> wrote:

Has anyone ever had much luck getting non-US countries to respond to
complaints?

Yes.

That is encouraging at least :-)
Many of the ones I find are in Asia somewhere, and once I determine that
I usually just go on to the next one.

I tend to only send complaints to other universities, and
only rarely is the machine taking offline and I get a response back.

Unfortunately it's a thankless task.  However, if you can't do the
contact, I'd encourage you to forward enough info to someone who could
do it for you.  This sounds like it might be a good job for REN-ISAC
(sorry Doug :-).

John

Usually after sending in a notice I will see that the problem was fixed
a few days later, but I'll never get a responce back.  I know the reason
for that here: complaints are bounced around between departments until
they get to the person in charge of the offending machine, but by then
the original contact has usually been removed.

maybe someone can poke cornell?

(%:~)- host 128.253.153.155
155.153.253.128.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
r253153155.resnet.cornell.edu.

(%:~)- telnet 128.253.153.155 9136

Trying 128.253.153.155...
Connected to 128.253.153.155.
Escape character is '^]'.
:irc.cntrx.net NOTICE AUTH :*** Looking up your hostname...
:irc.cntrx.net NOTICE AUTH :*** Found your hostname

--
-- Justin Azoff
-- Network Performance Analyst