Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IRC, IM Proxy Implementations

From: Rick Coloccia <coloccia () GENESEO EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:35:48 -0400

We just this morning cut of all irc access because of the bots issue.

-Rick

At 10:43 AM 9/2/2004, you wrote:

Hello all,

With the profusion of IRC related BOT exploits, we are researching an IRC\IM proxy implementation. Since these services do have legitimate usage, we are leery of disabling universally. We also believe a proxy would mitigate some of issues we are experiencing. If anyone out there has such a solution in production, and has any advice, documentation, or links regarding the process, issues and effectiveness, I would appreciate a jump-start. Thanks for your time and consideration.

David Hearn

Windows System Group – Office of Technology Integration

Florida State University

<mailto:dhearn () admin fsu edu>dhearn () admin fsu edu
********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Discussion Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/cg/.

--
Rick Coloccia
Network Manager