Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IRC, IM Proxy Implementations

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:48:50 -0400

Dave Monnier, IT Security Office, Indiana University wrote:

As an operational solution to our bot problem, we've blocked all IRC
known ports at the border and require users to use the campus VPN should
they want to reach IRC networks.

We blocked them last fall and offered an account on one
of our hosts if IRC access was desired. I don't remember
any specific complaints last year. We've had two complaints
this year.

There is a fair bit of IRC traffic to non-standard ports
which I hope to classify one day.

Can you provide a little more information on how your
VPN works to allow this? Is it for students too?

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer