Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IRC, IM Proxy Implementations

From: Craig Blaha <blaha () TCNJ EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:49:22 -0400

We disbabled IRC last semester and received 1 complaint (out of 6000
students)

Craig

Hearn, David L. wrote:

Hello all,

With the profusion of IRC related BOT exploits, we are researching an
IRC\IM proxy implementation. Since these services do have legitimate
usage, we are leery of disabling universally. We also believe a proxy
would mitigate some of issues we are experiencing. If anyone out there
has such a solution in production, and has any advice, documentation, or
links regarding the process, issues and effectiveness, I would
appreciate a jump-start. Thanks for your time and consideration.

David Hearn

Windows System Group – Office of Technology Integration

Florida State University

_dhearn () admin fsu.edu_ <mailto:dhearn () admin fsu edu>

Discussion Group discussion list can be found at
http://www.educause.edu/cg/.

--
tcnjlogo

    *Craig Blaha*
    /Associate Director
    Information Policy, Security and Web Development/
    The College of New Jersey
    PO Box 7718
    Ewing, NJ 08628
    www.tcnj.edu