Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

IRC, IM Proxy Implementations

From: "Hearn, David L." <DHearn () ADMIN FSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:43:47 -0400

Hello all,

With the profusion of IRC related BOT exploits, we are researching an
IRC\IM proxy implementation. Since these services do have legitimate
usage, we are leery of disabling universally. We also believe a proxy
would mitigate some of issues we are experiencing. If anyone out there
has such a solution in production, and has any advice, documentation, or
links regarding the process, issues and effectiveness, I would
appreciate a jump-start. Thanks for your time and consideration.

David Hearn
Windows System Group - Office of Technology Integration
Florida State University
dhearn () admin fsu edu