Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mixed Messages about SP2

From: "Acunis, Norm" <norm.acunis () ROCHESTER EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:56:01 -0400

I can provide factual and opinionated data:

I ran SP2 (revision code level 2 [RC2]) on my machine at home for about 10
days.  During that time there were pros & cons:

- no problems with VPN either via microsoft's pptp or Cisco's free IPSec
client.  Both worked without incident with the software firewall service
turned on.

- performance seemed slower though I began to attribute that to the severe
disk fragmentation level that resulted partly from the upgrade.

- Windows Media Player seemed pretty glitchy, but was tolerable (for you
multimedia fans).

- I ran a disk defrag which executed OK.  This is the part that is just my
opinion.  I could not access the network after that, went through level 3 at
RoadRunner and they gave up saying it was the cable modem.  That was not
very likely since my Linksys router was working fine for my daughter's
computer.  My computer showed the infamouse 169.x.x.x address.

- When I discovered that one of two locally attached printers was also not
working, I began to think software problem.  Tried 7 different system
restore checkpoints. None worked.  Backed out service pack 2 and tried an
earlier checkpoint, also failing.  Seemed likely to be registry issues now.
Also suspected TCP/IP stack

- Did reboot with last known good config option.  Unsuccessful.

- Tried the least intrusive version of XP repair from CD.  Failed.

- Returned to my local vendor.  So, I guess we could say that my
experimentation cost me money, time, and potentially data.  I am reporting
this from work and so do not have the beta "report a bug" web forms.  If
anyone wants to report to Microsoft, feel free.  It is remotely possible
that this was not SP2 related, but I doubt it.

-