Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Checking for AV software on students' machines

From: Brian Eckman <eckman () UMN EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:01:53 -0500

Craig Blaha wrote:
I'd be interested in this as well, especially related to whether the
personal firewall delivered with MS will block this scan. We're deciding
whether or not to build an automated DMZ system, but if the latest
versions of windows are delivered with the firewall on, it seems that
will limit the useful life of this type of scan process.

Yes, the Windows firewall (ICF) will block these types of scans. But
that is a good thing. We are implementing a NetReg-based solution, and
would be ecstatic if all of the dorm computers would pass the scan
because they have their firewall on. I would call that "mission
accomplished".

Brian
--
Brian Eckman