Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Web Kiosks

From: "David L. Wasley" <david.wasley () UCOP EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:15:18 -0700

We don't have such things at UCOP (yet) but if we were to, I would
strongly prefer to develop and deploy them in house.  If not, I would
require that they have private, external Internet connections.  All
we would provide would be space and power - much like a vending
machine.

What occurs to me is to wonder what the machine is actually
programmed to do?  Who configures it, maintains/upgrades it, etc.?
Will you even have access to the system, much less the code source?
It's bad enough having to defend against MSWin "bugs" - at least
there are a lot of other folks in the same boat.  But a few
externally provided black boxes, strategically placed on my network,
just doesn't seem worth the risk.  Call me paranoid...

       David
-----