Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Web Kiosks

From: "Bruhn, Mark S." <mbruhn () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 12:00:20 -0500

We are implementing a scheme of "shallow credentials."  This username
and password are constructs in our LDAP directory, and are not in our
Kerberos KDCs.  We're implementing these for parents and other third
parties (representatives from organizations sponsoring students, so they
can pay bills using ACH, for example).  They will be used, essentially,
for anyone without standard IU network Ids accessing our Onestart
portal, and a limited set of services therein.

We are also using "patron" accounts in the Library.  These are
restricted to information resources managed by the Library.  If someone
from off-campus has need for a more unregulated ability to do research,
they can obtain a longer-term unrestricted set of credentials from the
circ desk, by showing a photo id card.

For conferees and other guests, including visiting faculty, we are
providing them access to wireless by creating an isolated set of
accounts in our VPN server.  The conference bureau or a department
representive can (will be able to) access our Account Management Service
to assign one of those accounts to an individual, along with an
expiration date.

There are other things we're working on, but those are the main areas.

One thing that is key is that we don't ever collect any information
about what any of these people do (except in the ACH area, because NACHA
rules require it...).  In almost all other cases, all we know is that a
particular individual held credentials during a certain period.  If at
some point we receive a complaint associated with a device, we would
attempt to connect an individual to that device and event, and go from
there.

M.

--
Mark S. Bruhn, CISSP, CISM

Chief IT Security and Policy Officer
Interim Director, Research and Educational Networking Information
Sharing and Analysis Center (ren-isac () iu edu)

Office of the Vice President for Information Technology and CIO
Indiana University
812-855-0326

Incidents involving IU IT resources: it-incident () iu edu
Complaints/kudos about OVPIT/UITS services: itombuds () iu edu