Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Web Kiosks

From: Dan Updegrove <updegrove () MAIL UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 10:14:28 -0500

Mark and colleagues,

I think we owe it to the Internet, to our overstressed ISO staffs, and to
our PR/legal departments to be very aggressive in protecting our networks.
Since most forward-thinking campuses have, or are pursuing:

        - Authenticated kiosks in public locations, such as student unions
        - Authenticated wireless clouds in similar locations for
laptop/PDA users
        - Authenticated network jacks in classrooms, library carrels, and
reading rooms

there should be no lack of Internet/campus net access for our students,
faculty, and staff.

This leads me to conclude that the commercial kiosks are primarily for
outsiders to reach the Internet. Not clear to me why we should devote any
campus bandwidth or security management resources to the general public,
especially since we are having such a hard time managing both bandwidth and
security for our primary constituency!

I don't think it should be a Student Union's right to re-sell campus
network access. If the network is properly "owned" by the central IT group,
I can't imaging any rational IT group doing this.

My two cents,
Dan