Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: {Spam?} Re: Automatic Exploitation Paper Peer Review

From: Michael Gilhespy <gilhespy () quicknet nl>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:21:37 +0100

On 12/12/2010 07:38 PM, Konrads Smelkovs wrote:

        I am not sure I agree with that.  One of the saddest moments
        in my academic life was realising that the choice of PhD is
        dictated for the majority of non-brilliant students (of which,
        sadly, I was part) not by the advancement of science but by
        the fastest route to achieve a thesis which will pass muster.
         You therefore look for problems which are obscure, hidden
        somewhere and with next to no chance of having any importance
        except to close a border case.  The impression I have is: lots
        of border cases in academia when it comes to security.

This sounds very sad. If PhD's in security are valued so low, then imagine the amount of waste put into producing masters' thesises and even bachelors'. If this list thinks it knows enough about real world problems that need researching, then how about producing a list of Dailydave approved research topics in form of thesis titles and maybe few pointers in the right direction?
--
I'll throw in 2 cents worth. I'm in full time employment and am a part time student, working (painfully slowly) towards a PhD (digital forensics - choice not predicated on by anything but personal desire). I don't see anything wrong at all with the focus on border cases in academia. I work in the availability corner of the infosec CIA triad - in an admittedly highly specialized role - but I think it's worth saying that 100% of my day to day work consists of those "corner cases" or "border cases" or "cascade failures", that Taleb would probably call "black swans" and which I wish someone had foreseen and written a paper on.

Mike G