Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Automatic Exploitation Paper Peer Review

From: Arrigo Triulzi <arrigo () alchemistowl org>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 21:51:07 +0100

On 11 Dec 2010, at 18:48 , Marius wrote:
before this gets too far:
- It's rather arrogant to criticize (all) academics for lacking
abilities even only very few and select individuals throughout security
industry have.

Mmh, misunderstood my criticism: I expressed a concern towards the fact that some problems are being handled seriously
and with a lot of effort (e.g. Eros/Coyote and secure operating systems), others not so much and I asked "why?".

And btw. no curriculum I ever saw includes security skills, that matter.
I don't think it's the job of academia though. Too few companies
cooperate with universities. Too few of them really could.

Why not academia?  There is plenty of development in operating systems, HCI, etc. which comes straight out of academia
into the commercial world often funded by the very companies which then use the research commercially.  Are security
companies/~academic researchers too busy/arrogant/whatever not to cooperate? Is academia too busy/arrogant/whatever not
to cooperate? Is it not fair to ask the question?

Arrigo