Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Automatic Exploitation Paper Peer Review

From: Konrads Smelkovs <konrads () smelkovs com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 20:38:09 +0200

I am not sure I agree with that.  One of the saddest moments in my academic
life was realising that the choice of PhD is dictated for the majority of
non-brilliant students (of which, sadly, I was part) not by the advancement
of science but by the fastest route to achieve a thesis which will pass
muster.  You therefore look for problems which are obscure, hidden somewhere
and with next to no chance of having any importance except to close a border
case.  The impression I have is: lots of border cases in academia when it
comes to security.

This sounds very sad. If PhD's in security are valued so low, then imagine
the amount of waste put into producing masters' thesises and even
bachelors'. If this list thinks it knows enough about real world problems
that need researching, then how about producing a list of Dailydave approved
research topics in form of thesis titles and maybe few pointers in the right
direction?

--
Konrads Smelkovs
Applied IT sorcery.